Friday, May 13, 2016

Day -1: Heavy packs; light hearts

This update comes from the backyard of Scout and Frodo, two trail angels who have hosted 6oo+ hikers just this year. First thing tomorrow we'll have breakfast and then it's off to the trailhead. It's finally time


Costco has been our undoing when it comes to weight. We purchased so much food that, when combined with the 6L of water we need to make it to the first water source, made for very heavy packs. Fortunately Scout and Frodo have hundreds of priority USPS boxes and we were able to send most of the food on to Warner Springs and bring only enough food to do the two days to Mt. Laguna.


While we were in Colorado I had a lot of anxiety about starting whether I would be strong enough or stubborn enough to finish, but since we got to San Diego those worries have faded, replaced with the building excitement to be underway.


Tomorrow I hope to be updating here from the trail but I can't guarantee I'll have enough cell reception to do so. If not then I'll update from Mt. Laguna in a couple days.

Tomorrow: Let's do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment