Sunday, May 22, 2016

End of line

Hey everyone, sorry that it has been a few days since I posted, I've had a lot to think about and post but haven't really had the right words for what to say. Until now, hopefully. I'm afraid that I have to announce that I am leaving the PCT already, due to injuries I sustained in my short time on the trail. If you have been reading the blog recently you will have noticed that over the last few days I had been reporting worsening condition in my knee, ankle, and hips. This had come to a head while I was resting up in Julian, CA when I realized that my ankle had swollen up to nearly twice its normal size all while my knee continued to be extremely stiff and sore. While walking between the bed and breakfast at Julian and a restaurant was only a minor inconvenience on my leg, attempting to carry a ~35 lb pack more than a mile or so become painful very quickly. The chances of me being able to consistently hit 20 mile days (the mileage I would need in order to finish the trail before snows in Washington) anytime soon without risking further injury were extremely low. I currently believe that my knee and ankle will heal on their own given time, but I couldn't deny the potential risk for more permanent damage if I attempted to keep hiking. While I am disappointed that I have been forced to leave the trail so early especially after all of the planning that went into it I am even more disappointed to let down anyone who has been reading the blog expecting a solid four months of entertainment. Fortunately for you Jake is still on the trail and should continue to post updates for you to read.

1 comment:

  1. :[ That sucks, Matt, but good on you for listening to your body and not causing permanent damage. Take care!

    ReplyDelete