Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 56

I'm now officially a thru hiker! Today I finished the JMT by hiking into Yosemite Valley from Tuolumne Meadows. Along the way I hiked up Half Dome and by waterfalls and rivers that formed the valley. Yosemite is different from the other national parks I've been in do far due to the sheer number of people who are in the park. Due to its beauty and accessibility, Yosemite is much more of a tourist destination, with a veritable town in the valley. At this point it's so developed it's practically nature's Disneyland. While it's great that people want to appreciate it, it makes me wonder what it was like before the development, when John Muir was just discovering it.
When I got back to Tuolumne, I found Cowboy who is ending his hike in the Valley tomorrow. It was nice to share one last campfire with someone I've been hiking with for 600 miles.

Steps taken today/total: 65,418/2,056,956
Miles walked today/total: 28.10/943.01
Elevation gained today/total: 1,040/161,928
Elevation lost today/total: 6,542/176,937

No comments:

Post a Comment