Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 57

I left Tuolumne around eleven after the post office opened and I could get my food and I soon saw one of the more curious things on the trail. Soda Springs is a naturally occurring, carbonated spring in Yosemite that bubbles up about a mile from the post office. Scientists are still unsure exactly how the water becomes carbonated underground, but the water comes up tasting just like mineral water.
The landscape here is like a more subdued version of what we were just in, but it offers views that are just as beautiful. At one point I came around a corner and the rocks on either side framed a landscape with rounded granite faces in the foreground and spires of peaks in the back. I had heard reports of the snow and mosquitoes being bad in this section, but I ran into neither today, so hopefully those reports are outdated.

Steps taken today/total: 46,648/2,103,604
Miles walked today/total: 19.38/962.39
Elevation gained today/total: 3,193/165,121
Elevation lost today/total: 3,289/180,226

No comments:

Post a Comment